Here’s what we have and how we use it!
The Mailing List
Subscription is by double opt-in to prevent accidental or third-party/prank subscriptions. Data collected at subscription includes your email address, your first name (or full name if you enter it instead), and the time/date of subscription, which we need to prove subscription consent. Your email and name are used when sending the newsletters. The time/date of form submission is used only if our permission to send newsletters is ever legally questioned.
Our email software records if you open and click in a newsletter, which allows us to see overall trends of what subscribers like overall (sneak peeks and discounts!) or to delete subscribers who do not seem interested in the newsletter. That activity is not shared.
Your name and email are provided to the third party mailing service and to your own email software for the purposes of email delivery. (It would be very hard to deliver an email without an email address.) These are also securely stored in the mailing list database.
We don’t keep any individual record of where you are from, or what computer or IP address you used to subscribe. We don’t sell, trade, or share your data with any other list, or with anyone at all except as necessary to deliver your email.
Website Visits & Comments
When you comment here, we collect:
- the data shown in the comments form (your comment, so it can be displayed). The comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
- your name and email address
- your own website URL, if you include it
- your IP address and browser user agent string, to help spam detection, because no one likes spam
Please note also:
- If you leave a comment, you may opt-in to saving your name, email address, and website URL in cookies. This is for convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies, if you opt for them, will last for one year.
- Comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service. This doesn’t share personal data, it just checks to see if your comment fits the pattern of a typical spammer (irrelevant text, irrelevant links, etc.).
WordPress, download management software, and comment management software may also collect your IP address, country, and time/date of site visit. This information is not shared and is only reviewed in aggregate (“Oh, look, I had six visitors from Australia yesterday”), not used for personal tracking or targeting.
If you follow a referral link — say, an Amazon link to buy a book or product — that link will carry data that you started from this site. It has no personally identifiable data for you.
No other tracking or targeting software is used on this site. I don’t follow you around the internet.
If you contact me through the site and provide an email address for a response, I collect and use that email address for response. That’s it.